Monday, June 30, 2014

Goodbye Bowen, Hello Taggart


This week was full of a lot of miracles. Last P-day was really crazy with the world cup in swing and Mexico playing. We could always tell when they would score because all the cars in the streets would start honking and when Mexico had won their game they were doing donuts in the middle of the streets. Hispanics were flooding certain streets with flags and loud yelling. I can't even imagine how crazy it was down in Mexico. haha Good thing they lost yesterday so things can calm back down to normal :)

So my new companion Elder Lindsay is super awesome! He is from North Carolina, 20 years old, and knows a ton about political science. We are way different but I think that is one of our strengths as a companionship. He can sing really well and would love to go into voice acting so he has a deep, smooth announcer voice when he speaks. Since he can sing he was chosen to be part of a welcoming committee that would sing when President Taggart arrived. When we went to the practices one of the Basses didn't show up and since I was sitting there they asked me to do it. It was a lot of fun. We sang for both President Bowen and Taggart and their wives as well as the many office staff and others missionaries that were following them. We sang "I'll Go Where You Want Me To Go" and I had to sing alto an octave lower for the second verse and harmony bass the second. It was a challenge for me but it was really fun to try and work on my singing. I still have a long way to go. haha

A lot of our appointments fell through this week but it gave us a lot of opportunities to find. This week we have been focusing our street contacts on trying to get return appointments and it has been a huge blessing for us. One of the first experiences was with this lady name Alejandra that called out to us as we were riding our bikes. She yelled "Hey, Stop!" and she told us that she saw us talking to a lady across the street about Christ and then told us her son would ask her to go to church on Sundays but she didn't know which one to go to. Her son is now in juvy but she wants to be involved with a church so that when he gets out he can come with her. What a tender mercy from The Lord. The lady that we were talking to across the street had no interest in what we had to say but if we wouldn't have talked to her Alejandra wouldn't have yelled for us to stop. It has kept me reminding myself to make sure I am talking to everyone because we never know who is watching us. Maybe even the elect :)

Right before district meeting this week a guy came into the church and went right to the chapel and started praying. We went to talk to him and he told us that he had been into a life of drugs and darkness but that he found Christ in prison and hasn't touched alcohol or drugs in his 5 months of being out. But right now he is about to be kicked out of his home with his newly married wife and he had a strong feeling that he could find help in our church. I testified of the Atonement and how it could help him in his time of need as well as receiving forgivness for his past. It was a really spiritual experience and affirmed my testimony of the healing power of the Atonement and how personal it is for each one of us.

Also this week we had a cool meeting with President Taggart. He told us he expects four things from us as missionaries. 1. Be Happy 2. Be Safe 3. Be Successful 4. Be Converted. I think his remarks were really inspired and I learned a lot about each of those fours things that I can work on and really become the missionary that I can be. There were so many other miracles and it was a really amazing week. The Gonzales couple is doing really well and love church each week. Elder Lindsay and I are really good at helped each other become better and I love serving with him. Thank you for all the love I feel from all of you, you're the best!

Love,

Elder Hyde

No comments:

Post a Comment